Thursday 5 May 2011

What Is Graphic Design For? (Subject/Content)

Subjects/Content that interests me:
- Photography
- Music
- Fashion
- Type as image
- Health

PHOTOGRAPHY:




The photography of this really makes the campaign, and the digital manipulation used too. The grimey, dirty and dark setting that the baby is in is enough to pull anyone's heart strings, its no place for a baby, but with the cord around his arm, pulled tightly with his teeth brings sheer shock and disgust. Really powerful, and for me it works. It must work to others too as it caused controversy and finally get banned.

MUSIC:


The iPod adverts have always interested me, a cross between the cool colour contrasts, usually, a black silhouette and a bright and vivid background. With the main focus on the simple vector of the iPod.


FASHION:




This is the logo for Lily Allen's clothing range, Lucy in Disguise, I love this!! It's very feminine and communicates vintage and boutique really well. The type on its own would communicate a typical vintage shop, but with the intricacy of the illustration it shows exclusivity.

TYPE AS IMAGE:





Both of these examples are taken from a site called Tooft Design. The first is really simple, but still cool, and is very similar to something fro my own practice I have done for my Optional Image Module where I used type as image, and it was just as simple as this.

The second example is quite humorous, again, I love the simplicity. Two colours plus stock, a simple black vector illustration, some type 'vomit' and a line of copy. The use or red for the word vomit, and the vomit being in red works really well.

HEALTH:




Taken from a cool site I use called Trendland...
Health campaigns have always interested me, especially the more sinister ones, the power of the message really makes you think. I love the way the smoke has been used to carry across the message of death, and the very simple line of copy at the bottom, 'Kill a Cigarette and Save a Life. Yours'. It also ties in with my interest in the subject of photography, especially black and white, that alone can be a powerful and provoking tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment