Monday 9 May 2011

Music Channels

What channels are out there?

MTVN HD

- A 24 hour music and entertainment channel, 'MTVNHD, the first ever international high definition service dedicated to music, offers a mix of programming from MTV'. It shows a range of music shows, including live concerts from around the world, and the various MTV awards.

*Cool channel, I love the live concerts they show.

MTV

- Originally it was supposed to be a 24/7 music video station, although it no longer does this, but plays a lot of reality shows such as The Hills.

* Before MTV started playing ridiculous programmes like 'Sixteen and Pregnant' and 'My Super Sweet Sixteenth' it was a decent channel. Also the frequent charity adverts that purposely tug on the heart strings eventually desensitise.

Viva

- Similar to MTV, plays a lot of their programmes, Sweet 16, The Hills, South PArk etc. and features a lot of chart shows from different celebrities.

* On the whole I find this channel repetitive and annoying.

MTV Base

- The genres featured are slightly more focussed and feature R'n'B, hip-hop, reggae, soul and urban.

* This is usually one of my top 3 channels to watch.

MTV Hits

- Features a lot of the Top 40, and a download chart most days.

* This channel can get very repetitive, especially with some of the same programmes showing daily.

MTV Dance

- This channel features all kinds of dance from house to techno from the 90's and earlier right up until now.

* A channel I watch now and again.

VH1

- A varied channel featuring more of the older hits especially from the 'legends' as well as gameshows and programmes.

* This isn't a channel I really watch, it's normally one I flick on to but rarely stay on.

MTV Rocks

- Originally MTV 2, dedicated to alternative rock and indie.

* I do like this channel now and again as an alternative to my usual channels.

4 Music

- Bringing music videos from the recent charts and programmes.

* Sometime it's a bit overly commercial, which isn't what I always fancy.

The Box

- Features a lot of countdown programmes for different criteria.

* It used to be a channel I watched a lot when I was younger as it was pretty much non stop music.

Kiss

- Dedicated to new music and hiphop and R and B.

* This used to be my favourite channel as a teenager but as I have grown out of the genre I don't watch it any more.

Smash Hits

- A British commercial music channel, featuring themed countdowns and one hour slots dedicated to particular celebrities.

* I don't watch this channel much as it seems to have more 'junk' than music.

Q

- This is a more indie and alternative channel.

* Being a fan of indie and alternative music I enjoy watching this channel, and it doesn't have too much 'crap' on it either.

Magic

- British music channel for easy listening.

* I can't say I have ever watched this channel.

Kerrang

- A rock and metal channel.

* From time to time I watch this channel, as my Dad and I are guitarists it is easy to play and watch.

What are the logos like?

Here are a selection of music channel logos, they are clearly all different but the main similarity is that they all feature the colour white plus one other colour. The MTV logos work well as a set featuring the main logo, plus the secondary name e.g. Base/Dance/Hits etc. in a black sans serif text.


These logos are a bit more colourful but feature the older versions of the previous set, for example, the MTV logos, which didn't work as a set, and appeared to have separate identities, but have since been developed and now have a more unified design. The Box logo is a simple design, made up of shapes and has remained the same for years, but has slightly more rounded edges recently.



I have since discovered that the music channels, tend to have longer names in the logo compared with the main television channels which often featured initials or generally short names e.g. ITV, BBC, Five, Sky, E4...

I could still shorten the name 'Infrasonic' but since discovering this it isn't essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment